Established in 1986, Quadrangle is among Canada’s most dynamic design firms. Our portfolio of projects illustrates a diversified client list that includes major players in the residential, commercial, retail, media and hospitality industries. Equally wide-ranging is our scope and expertise in the rehabilitation and conversion of existing buildings and interiors projects.
In early 2019, Quadrangle entered into a strategic partnership with BDP, a major international practice of architects, designers, engineers and urbanists, primarily based in the UK. Quadrangle is leading Canadian operations and BDP’s North American expansion.
Commitment to our environment is key to our identity at Quadrangle. We have an in-house Green Team that is made up of people with a passion for green design. The Quadrangle Green Team works to integrate best green building practices into Quadrangle projects. Green Team members work with project leads to customize green strategies tailored to their client’s goals that are rooted in design and technical excellence and supported by business insight. The Green Team works to support a culture of sustainability within our studio in several ways including lunch and learns, training, orientation, participation on the Quadrangle design review panel, preparation of guidelines and policies, tracking of modelled design energy performance, testing of green software tools, and the creation of Rules of Thumb to guide design.
Quadrangle is looking for a capable and talented student who is enthusiastic about issues of sustainability, enjoys both research and graphic design work who can quickly adapt to a wide range of design and documentation tasks throughout all phases of a project, and who enjoys a friendly, fast-paced and supportive team-oriented environment. We are quick to realize the skills of our staff and provide them with challenges to build upon and further their experience.
Senior level students will have the opportunity to work closely with principals and project managers; be expected to assist with building code and construction documents; participate in team meetings and carry out a variety of other tasks. Past co-op students have been involved in different phases of each project, from design to construction, providing them with well-rounded, practical experience.
50% of the student’s work will be committed to project work and 50% will be committed to Quadrangle’s in-house Green Team, led by our Director of Innovation. Tasks will include support for the following initiatives:
- Tracking project design performance including operational energy and carbon;
- Green Buddy program including developer and technical research and graphic support;
- Annual Climate Change Studio event;
- Embodied Carbon research and sample project study using One Click LCA;
- Quadrangle’s studio operational carbon inventory;
- Support the creation of embodied carbon tools;
- Green Rules of Thumb for Multi-Unit Residential Buildings;
- Resiliency Best Practice for Multi-Unit Residential Buildings;
- Researching current resiliency standards (GRESBE, RELI, Fortified, etc.);
- Participation in monthly Green Team Strategy Meetings;
- Innovation Support Team.
The following skills, experience and qualifications are required:
- Currently enrolled in a university level program, preferably within architecture or relevant experience;
- A minimum of one previous work term in an architecture firm is required;
- Proficiency in Revit and AutoCAD, Microsoft Windows Server domain design, configuration and administration;
- Experience using Revit in workshare environments, Rhino, Dynamo, VRay, SketchUp, Adobe Creative Suite, Microsoft Office, and other supplementary programs is also valued.
Quadrangle is dedicated to fostering the careers of students through post-secondary co-op programs. We are proud of many former co-op students who have returned to the studio following graduation and have become valued members of the Quadrangle team.
We believe our people are our most valuable asset. The Studio is a fast-paced and supportive team-based environment. Quadrangle continues to expand, and we are seeking exceptional individuals to help us build a bright future. We offer outstanding opportunities, along with a mentorship program to develop your professional skills and to grow within the firm.
If you would like to pursue a career at Quadrangle, please submit your résumé (Acrobat PDF file only), via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Quadrangle is committed to inclusive and accessible employment practices by accommodating applicants with disabilities throughout the hiring process in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Applicants are encouraged to make their needs known in advance if accommodation is required.